Painted Pictures On Silence

A Positive Music Blog

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Out of the Vaults # 13 - Otis Redding - Deep Memphis Soul

Each week or so my wife will dive into our CD cabinets (The Vaults) and randomly pull out one of the thousands of CDs. The chosen album will then be given to me and I will talk about the Cd for awhile no matter how good, bad, obscure or embarrassing the chosen disc is. Where did I buy it, when did I buy it, what was my first reaction to hearing it, do I still listen to it today etc, etc, etc

Out of the Vaults #13 - Otis Redding - Deep Memphis Soul

I would like to say I have been listening to Otis Redding for years but It would not be true. The first time I ever bought something by Otis was just a few years ago on a trip to California. While rummaging through the dollar bin at a hole in the wall record store just off the beach in Venice, I ran across a copy of Deep Memphis Soul. Being just a dollar there was no excuse not to finally give Otis a try

I had to wait until I returned home a few days later to get a chance to  the listen to the album but once the disc  made it's way into my CD player, it would be stay there for some time.

The desperation of the lead off track "These Arms of Mine", "Change is Gonna Come" and "I've Been Loving You Too Long", both done by many but none capture the feeling of  Otis's versions. The later one almost brings a tear to my eye each time I hear it.

Then there are the bluesy tracks. "Tell The Truth" and "Pain In My Heart" supply the "Memphis" part of the album's title.

But of course it's not all about sad songs, We also get the very upbeat horns driven "I Can't Turn You Lose", "Shake"containing one of my favorite song lyrics "You're shaking like a bowl of soup", "Look At That Girl", the Carla Thomas duet "Tramp" and the original version of a  "Respect". An altered version would go on to be singer Aretha Franklin's signature song. The original Otis version, which he wrote himself, with different lyrics contaning no "R-E-S-P-E-C-P-T", is a far better song.

"Respect" is not the only song you may recognize. Until I bought this album I had no idea the most known Black Crows song "Hard To Handle" was also originally done by Otis Redding. That intense song lip synched by John Crier's "Ducky" character while thrashing around the record store in Pretty In Pink was "Try A Little Tenderness" is actually Otis. The scene only helps prove it is one of Otis's most intense songs.

The most well known Otis Redding song "(Sittin' On) the Dock of the Bay" closes out an awesome introduction to one of music history's greatest singers.


Watch Otis Reding singing "Respect" below. I want to know your opinions on who's version is better


No comments:

Post a Comment