Painted Pictures On Silence

A Positive Music Blog

Monday, June 11, 2012

Out Of the Vaults #14 - The Doughboys - Crush

Each week or so my wife will dive into our CD cabinets (The Vaults) and randomly pull out one of the thousands of CDs. The chosen album will then be given to me and I will talk about the Cd for awhile no matter how good, bad, obscure or embarrassing the chosen disc is. Where did I buy it, when did I buy it, what was my first reaction to hearing it, do I still listen to it today etc, etc, etc

Out Of The Vaults #14 - The Doughboys - Crush

 In 1993 I went to a show in Baltimore at The American Revolution or “The Rev” for short. On the bill was Jawbox, a local band named Rubber Sole and a band from Canada called  the Doughboys. I had heard the Doughboys name around but had not heard their music. As they began to set up their equipment I asked the guys standing next to me what the band was like. “Pretty poppy with lots of hooks”, the guy answered. Then he added, “Oh, and on stage they jump around a lot”. Then the band started up. “Jumps around a lot” was a serious understatement. Over the 45 minute set I do not think any of the band members’ feet even touched the ground. Plus the music was incredible. Melody and thick guitars all over the place. Each member with hair whipping around and big smiles on their faces. The show left me with a grin for weeks.

A few months later A&M Records released Crush and the album has been in my regular rotation ever since.

The thing I love most in a song is a "hook". That one piece of a song which is not just a lyric stuck in your head but an instruments riff or even just a sound that catches and stays with you. The riff ten seconds into "Disposable" is a perfect example.


 As a matter of fact I think the songs “Melt”, “Disposable”, “Fix Me”, “Tearin’ Me Away”, “Everything” and “End of the Hall” on Crush alone may possess more hooks then the rest of the music in my collection. 

That's not even including the song which leads off the album "Shine". There is no argument that this is not one of the greatest and most catchy rock and roll songs that there ever was. Just listen to this song without a smile on your face.

Combined with the intensity of "Neighborhood Villain" and "Fall", the guitar fuzz of "Shitty Song" and the laid back groove of "Treehouse" and "Summer Song" you have one of the best Power/Pop/Punk/ Rock and Roll albums of all time. I will never understand while Crush  isn't still in print

Do I still listen to this album? I'd say at least a couple times a week. Every time my feet barely touch the ground.




 I put two vids for "Shine". The first is the actual video and the second just the song because I think the first one  is "not made available on mobile". Everyone should be able to liisten to this song at least once.





No comments:

Post a Comment