Painted Pictures On Silence

A Positive Music Blog

Monday, July 23, 2012

Soul Asylum - Delayed Reaction CD - One Blogger's Opinion

It's no secret that ever since I picked up Soul Asylum's 1986 album Made To Be Broken because it shared a record label with another band I had just discovered named The Replacements, I have been a big Soul Asylum fan. By the time I first caught their video for "Cartoon" off of their great 1988 Hang Time album they were among my all-time favorites. I first saw them live in 1993 at the Academy in New York City where they debuted a brand new song entitled "Runaway Train". 


Although I will always prefer the more loud and fast pre- Grave Dancers Union material more, I do love almost every song Soul Asylum has released. There is even a previous Audiolore entry right here where I "explore" their underrated and often ignored ...And The Horse They Rode In On album. Now that Soul Asylum has released Delayed Reaction, the bands first album in six years, I have to give my opinion on this album by the band I have been a huge fan of for the past twenty six years.

"Gravity" kicks off the record in fine form. Although not as powerful as "Someboy To Shove", a song I consider one of the best album lead off songs (Grave Dancers Union), it still has those pattented Soul Asylum hooks. Lead singer Dave Pirner's voice does have a noticeble raspy tinge not on the previous albums. I am not sure if this is from years of cigarettes or just from growing older.

"Into The Light" and "The Streets" are two great driving songs with fantastic sing a long chorus. The former a bit slower but bouncy while the later is faster with an awesome guitar solo about halfway through. Both songs sound like the band is having a great time in the studio while playing them.

"By The Way" and the piano spotlighted "Cruel Intentions" a little later down the album show Soul Asylum still know how to effectively bring it down a notch. Both songs are slower and quieter but by no means boring.


Track 12 "Let's All Kill Each Other" is my favorite song on the album. It's definitely the most rocking. Right up there with "Easy Street" from ...And The Horse They Road In On, "Just Like Anyone" from Let Your Dim Light Shine or even "Ship Of Fools" way back on 1986's Made To Be Broken. I've been singing this song on my walk to work since I first got Delayed Reaction last Tuesday.

From reading this blog it should be pretty obvious I have a strong love for New York City. Any song about or even mentions the city I live in get's a huge boost. It also helps that "Take Manhattan" at track 9 is a very good song.

"Should Have Stayed In Bed" proves to be a great pick for the end to the record. The slow swirling build- up perfect conveys the feeling of attempting to rise out of bed, almost making it before giving up and going back to sleep.

On Made To Be Broken, that first Soul Asylum album I bought so long ago, there is a line in "Never Really Been" where Dave sings "Where will you be in 1993?" At only 14 years old 1993 sounded so far away to me. Never in my wildest dreams could I imagine Soul Asylum would still be putting out great music even 20 years later.








No comments:

Post a Comment