Painted Pictures On Silence

A Positive Music Blog

Sunday, January 8, 2012

Styx - Pun Intended


I don’t remember whose idea it was exactly but when I was around 10 years old my friends and I had rules when it came to listening to music. We had a few bands we listened to and those were ONLY bands we allowed ourselves to listen too. If a band which was not included in our rules came on the radio, off it went. There were about five different groups but the only one I can remember is the Chicago band Styx.

Maybe we were just fooling ourselves into believing Styx was the best. Maybe it was the beginnings of adolescent rage brewing inside forcing us to become a renegade from other music groups. It also may have just been because we just had too much time on our hands.

We would spend those long nights listening to Pieces of Eight, Cornerstone, Crystal Ball and Paradise Theater. Of course the song which showed us the way to grand illusion of Styx was Mr. Roboto. Whether it was on the song’s original album or the double live Caught In The Act, how could any ten year old burgeoning music lover not fall instantly in love with a song about a robot?

We didn’t have a crystal ball to see all those bands and groups we would soon be learning about. We just thought we were having the best of times listening to one of our favorite band. Looking back I do believe it’s true.

As we grew older our musical taste changed and the groups we allowed ourselves to listen to expanded. But I didn’t want to let it end this way.

 Every once in awhile my Styx LPs are dusted off and played at full blast.

Thank you Styx, or should I say "Domo Arigato", for helping shape our young musical minds.



…Josh was here

No comments:

Post a Comment