Painted Pictures On Silence

A Positive Music Blog

Monday, March 19, 2012

A Chance Encounter with "The Boss"


For this post I was going to review the new Bruce Springsteen album Wrecking Ball. Then I thought about how there are probably thousands of blog reviews out there already. Why not make this post  about something a little more interesting.

In the three years I worked at the Rockefeller Center location of Brookstone I met a lot of famous people. Since all the major Television and Radio networks had studios within a few blocks they were mostly newscasters and on air personalities . Katie Couric, Tom Brokaw and Conan O'Brien were all regulars in our store. One winter night someone a bit more interesting was in there browsing.

Bruce RFK Stadium 1985
It was December 22nd 2004, Only three days from Christmas. The time was nearing 9:30 and our extended Holiday closing time was approaching a little too slowly. Most the people in the store had come to Rockefeller Center to either Ice Skate or see the famous Rockefeller Christmas Tree, none with any intent of purchasing anything. Tired from the rush of the Holiday Season, all the salespeople were itching to close up and get out of there. As I stood at the top of the steps to the upper level, my manager finally gave me the signal to begin  shutting down the register. 

Before I finished counting the quarters my manager appeared upstairs in front of me. “There is a guy downstairs who I think is Bruce Springsteen”, he said in a whisper. “I need you to go downstairs to confirm”. I gave my manager a “Yeah right” look and went back to counting the money.  In the past a few of the many musicians my boss had thought he saw in the store included Paul McCartney, Eric Clapton and Mick Jagger. One time even Elvis. All of course turned out to not be the real deal. “No. This time I am almost positive it’s him. He is down there right now with his wife and kid”. Humoring my manager I walked down the steps and over to the left where we kept the alarm clocks.  As I approached a guy in a beat up denim jacket and even more beat up baseball hat I gave him a quick glance. It was really him! Walking around the store among about forty or so everyday people three days before Christmas was “The Boss” himself: Bruce Springsteen. Not only was Bruce there but he looked exactly the same as when I saw him with The E Street band live at RFK Stadium for my first concert in 1985. Feeling giddy and semi nervous, I turned around, gave my manager an affirmative nod and quickly returned to my post upstairs. At that moment all other customers at the store had vanished from our eyes.

I watched from the top of the steps while our Assistant Manager Derek gave Bruce a full demonstration of one of the massage chairs we sold. When the demo was finished Bruce took one of Derek’s cards and placed it in his wallet. A short while later one of our associates Chris demonstrated for Bruce the benefits of the Temp Pedic memory foam pillow and mattresses we specialized in. A few minutes before we closed, Bruce gathered up his family and exited to the street.

Totally elated, we all basked in the fact we had met such a legend. I kidded Derek about how right now Bruce Springsteen was walking around with a business card with his name on it. 

Then we heard a knock on the upstairs door leading to outside. Looking out we could see it was Bruce’s wife Patti. When my boss opened the door she said her son really wanted the Tempur Pedic pillow we had shown them and was there anyway they could still buy it. Of course we opened the door and let them in.

 Someone went downstairs with Bruce and his son to choose a pillow. When they brought it upstairs my boss says to me, "Josh why don't you ring it up". I punch the numbers into the register and told him the total. Bruce hands me his credit card. There it was written right on the card: “Bruce Springsteen”. My legs almost gave out beneath me. For some reason I didn't think the card would actually have his real name printed on it. When he signed the credit card receipt, out of force of habit I checked to see if the signature matched the one on the back of the card.  Looking for an excuse to to actually talk to him, I told him how before you first use the pillow you have to pat it and fold it  every which way to loosen it up a little. As I spoke Bruce Springsteen watched me, seriously listening to what I was saying. Them I put the pillow in a shopping bag, handed it over and wished him a “Merry Christmas”. He thanked me. Then knowing every single one of us working at the store knew who he was, were totally aware he was a living Rock and Roll legend, still did not ask for an autograph or bother him in anyway, he turned to his son and said, “You know, these are really nice people working here”. Then Bruce and his family once again exited the store.

I was going to close out this post with a video of Bruce playing one of my favorite Springsteen songs but I managed to run across this news segment about that Bruce Springsteen and the E Street band show I went to at RFK Stadium when I was twelve years old. Somehow I think this may be a little more fitting.




No comments:

Post a Comment