Painted Pictures On Silence

A Positive Music Blog

Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Out Of The Vaults #7 - Leatherface - Minx

Each week or so I will ask my wife to dive deep into our CD cabinets (The Vaults) and pull out one of the thousands of  CDs at random. The chosen album will then be given to me and I will  reflect on the disc for awhile in this blog no matter how good, bad, or embarrassing the chosen disc is. Where did I buy it, how old was I,what was my first reaction to hearing the album, do I still listen to it today and anywhere else my stream of conscious takes me in regards to the "Out Of The Vaults" weekly pick.

Out Of The Vaults #7 - Leatherface - MINX

The first time I ever heard the band Leatherface was in 1992. WNYU had a great afternoon rock and roll radio show between the early afternoon jazz and the nightly sports recap. It was only a small window of time between two and four o'clock but I could fill pages and pages of this blog with bands I first heard on that radio show.

One of those bands was the Sunderland, UK band Leatherface. The song played was "Dead Industrial Atmosphere". The band's "Bad Religion with the Richard Butler (of the Psychedelic Furs) on vocals" sound had me in the car on the way to Tower Records before the WNYU DJ had finished telling which album the song was from. Luckily when I reached Tower someone working there found out the song was from the recently released album Mush.

Since Mush was released on the very short lived SEED Records label it was in and out of print very fast, leaving the album only available as a very expensive import. Looking back I consider myself pretty lucky to have been able to buy the record since none of the bands later albums would be released domestically until 2000 when the reunited Leatherface released Horsebox. Because of this I was not able to hear Minx, the 1992 follow up to Mush until 2001 when I accidentally ran across a copy in the cut out section of the Rockefeller Center F.Y.E.

Although Mush will always remain one of my all-time favorite albums, Minx starts off a lot smoother. The lead off track "Wallflower" takes off like an airplane. The sky is clear. Sit back and enjoy the flight.

A few tracks in we hit "Fat Earthly Flirt", with a hook right up there with "Not A Day Goes By", "I Want The Moon" and all those other great songs on Mush. There is a pause in the middle of the song. A lone bass guitar riff is the planes engine sputtering for a bit before it kicks back in and the planes dives back into it's groove.

The next track "Do The Right Thing" is my favorite Leatherface song of all-time. If they could hear the smoothness of the guitars and the incredible lyrics, even the biggest critics of lead singer Frankie Stubb's gravelly voice would be won over by this song.

When we hear the revved up engines of  the guitars on Track 6 we know we have met our destination of another classic Leatherface song. "Heaven Sent" is right up there with "Do The Right Thing" as one of the best songs in Leatherface's arsenal.

At Track 7 "Don't Work" it's time for the pilot to some fun and show off a bit. Pull off a few stunts before going into the dark storm of the two songs which follow.

"Dustbin Modo" at track 10 is a throw back to the late 80's punk rock beginnings of Leatherface's debut album Cherry Knowle. The song is a little bit of turbulence to shake things up a bit and make the flight a little interesting.

The turbulence is gone by the time we reach the final song. "Pale Moonlight" brings the album to a close and the flight to smooth landing.

In 2002 Fire Records released Minx only to have it quickly go out of print once again. Luckily it is still available on iTunes. Download it before you go on your next flight.




No comments:

Post a Comment