Painted Pictures On Silence

A Positive Music Blog

Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Now Here's A Little Story I've Got To Tell: Tribute To A Beastie Boy


In 2001 when I heard the choked up DJ on the radio announce Joey Ramone had passed away I had to pull over. Even  though I never met Joey,  his band’s music had been a big part of my life since I was about 15 years old. I took it pretty hard. I have been a huge fan of the Beastie Boys music since I was 13 years old. Last Friday when they announced Beastie Boy Adam Yauch, of course better known as MCA had passed away I took it even worse.

License to Ill was not the first album I ever bought. It was however my first gatefold cover album. For someone who would go on to a lifetime of listening to and collecting records this was a pretty big deal. For me the draw of LPs over cassettes (CDs were not around yet) was the sleeves. They give you something to look at while listening to the record. Gatefold covers allow you double the space to admire. Although License to Ill’s cover looks like a simple plane crashing into a mountain there was actually so much more going on in the picture. The “Beastie Boys” insignia on the tail, the Def Jam logo and the numbers and letters that we could never figure out the meaning  to in front of it. Every time my friends and I put on the record we tried to see if there was anything else on the album cover we missed. The whole time we were totally oblivious to the fact the plane was made to look like a stubbed out joint.

The great thing about License to Ill was we all could listen to it. There was never a fight over what to put in the boom box. Our Rocker friend loved the Aerosmith samples on “The New Style” and the Led Zeppelin sample on “She’s Crafty”. Our friend who was into rap loved the Run-DMC samples on "The New Style" and Slick Rick samples on "Hold It Now, Hit It". The Black Sabbath guitar riffs sampled on “Rhymin N Stealin” satisfied our metal friend. He was especially pleased when we learn the guitarist Kerry King of his favorite band Slayer was responsible for the guitar riffs on “No Sleep To Brooklyn”. Personally I loved it all. 


Throughout Middle School other bands and albums would come and go off our record players, boom boxes and parents car radio tape decks but License to Ill would remain in our rotation all the way through the end of eighth grade.


In High School a few years later The Beastie Boys released their second album Paul's Boutique. My homeroom class bonded over our secret plot to have the album's "Hey Ladies" voted in as the theme to the Homecoming Dance.


I was lucky enough to have seen the Beastie Boys live three times. The first was in 1992 just after Check Your Head was released. They were playing with Sonic Youth at Michael's Eighth Avenue in Glen Burnie,Maryland of all places. The Beastie Boys and Sonic Youth. You can't get much more New York than that. The second time was in 1994 at a Sold Out last minute show at WUST Music Hall (now the "New" 9:30 Club) in Washington, DC just a few days after Ill Communication had been released. I remember Mike D., Adrock and MCA checking  the score of the Knicks playoff game between each song. The "Secret" show was meant to be a warm up for the Beastie Boys upcoming stint on Lollapalooza tour, which is actually the third place I caught them


About ten of us piled into two cars and headed to Charlestown, WV for the show. Each one of us with a few  acts in particular we wanted to catch. Some went for Tribe Called Quest, a few went for Smashing Pumpkins, one or two for The Breeders and a couple for George Clinton and the P-Funk All-Stars. I wanted to see them all.  Out of the ten of us there was no one who was not totally psyched  to be seeing the Beastie Boys. With no cell phones or set place to meet it was not uncommon at all day "Festival" concerts to become separated from your friends for hours on end. Throughout the day various members of our group found ourselves lost from the group for long periods of time. When The Beastie Boys came on we all found ourselves reunited right up front. 

Last week when  MCA. passed away from cancer it was almost eleven years exactly after Joey Ramone's life was taken by the same disease. Eleven more years listening to and buying new albums from one of my earliest favorite bands. From the very beginning I definitely thought MCA was the coolest Beastie Boy. After all  if you remember the video for "(You've Got to )Fight For Your Right (To Party)" he is the only one  wearing a leather jacket.








2 comments:

  1. Great post Josh! I had forgotten about them checking the Knicks game between each song. But you failed to mention that the show was in the middle of the afternoon. I remember walking out into the bright sunlight and feeling like it should have been night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The funny thing is I originally had that in there it was but the sentence sounded awkward so I cut it out. maybe ill add it back in

    ReplyDelete